Friday, May 04, 2001

Broken Nose #2 Story: shooting some local bands on ground floor of a dance/music club decided between sets to go upstairs to watch dance activity. I was standing on the side of the dancefloor when suddenly a tall, lanky guy in a ball cap grabbed me by the wrists and pulled me into the middle of the happy lights and post-mod movement. I was trying to see under the cap for an i.d. and never got a good look. I could tell he was drunk as he stumbled about - and I couldn't get away from him because he had my wrists and all. Suddenly he lost his footing and all 6' or so of him came crashing onto the bridge of my nose. He scooted away as the yellow lights of pain come racing towards my face. I staggered over to the upstairs bar holding my bleeding nose, for some ice in a filthy bar rag. When I collected myself I went downstairs and asked the person at the door if they saw this lanky accident on two legs and he said "oh, he just ran out of here." Weeks later I was speaking with another photo colleague and mentioned what happened and he said "that was my friend Chris and he feels really bad about that." He was absolutely not lying. And I've never talked with Chris about this, I think I like to let him think that I don't know that he broke my nose. Maybe I don't want to admit such nasal fallability. FYI: broken nose #1 I sort of deserved...I grabbed a ball away from a boy and cruelly ran away taunting him and straight into a brick wall. I was ten.

No comments: