Friday, April 20, 2001

Cops have senses of humor, too (proof): Upon hearing of an in-progress FTTA protest I raced towards it in my reliable, air-bagged vehicle. I saw the protesters, put car in park, grabbed camera and one extra roll of film, saw State Troopers and said "I'm media, I'm shooting this, and I'll only be a few minutes." I only wish I had said, in retrospect, "I'll just be a jiff." So I run ahead of the LLBean-outfitted group, and photograph State Troopers with thick calves on mountain bikes and in windbreakers which say State Trooper on the back. I run, I shoot, I take notes, I ask questions, I shoot, I sweat, I talk, I listen, I shoot, and start returning to my car (which I realize I haven't locked). State Troopers in enormous SUV see me and say "I thought you were only going to be a minute." I say "Well, I was waiting for things to happen." Like the line of policemen in a straight line to break out of their perfect synchronized swimmer formation. I said "and I didn't even lock my car." One of the Troopers said "the tow truck driver appreciated that." My car was still there, blocking one lane of traffic and everything unstolen inside. Hardy-har.

No comments: