Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Seven of us (Pam & Pat, their three daughters, Alex the Bearded Tech, and Yours Truly) hauled ass last night to get my exhib space in order for tonight. After trying to visualize the prefab screen in the room - hanging - with desks and classroom amenities Pam and I asked the daughters to store the desks in the storage space in the room as we hauled a podium and chalkboard and garbage can out of there. Then, while Pam stood on a chair and held up the prefab item I could see it could work but would not be parfait. Looked again at the screen in-room = damaged piece of shit. Pam said What about seamless and the rest is now the stuff of grad show lore. Alex and I searched about the studio upstairs and found, finally, a bright white paper. This was then carefully raised to the wall by me, Pam & Pat and gaffer taped to the wall to match the size of the largest-possible projected video image. Hours later it was done and it looks amazing. The daughters hauled the two wood benches I relocated after their disappearances up on 5. The room is done, the dvd runs sans a hitch, the screen is huge, we worked out the lighting, the classroom accoutrements are nearly all cleared out (defending happens in the very same until 2ish) and I hope beyond hope that someone might think to get the two tables and six or so remaining chairs out of there and into the next-door room, an auditorium. I have a seminar today at 3. I will ask Mark the Shrink if we can have class in the aud. At 530ish I will begin putting my artist demeanour on and at 6 the hoopla (hopefully) begins. The post-exhaustion, adrenalized jubilance of an art opening that follows all the harrowing ups, downs and in-betweens of getting a show together. In some ways it is a lot like the newspaper racket: the work is huge, the stress the same and, when all is done, there is a (for YT) a curious sense of amnesia and a sense of Now What.

Now What Love.

No comments: