Thursday, August 11, 2005

I am a video art star.
Lurking in the corners of the specially revamped room, I watched watchers watching the entire cycle of the thesis piece of Yours Truly. Did I tell You it's called Endmatter. Happily, wine was in the next room/lecture centre so I could tell my guests to just pop around the corner for a thimble of oso mediocre red and white.
The screen worked and to that I say hooray to the inventor of gaffer tape.
I got many congratulations from strangers and unestranged and it felt wonderful for a newbie like me in the video showing realm.
One of the evening's most memorable moments arrived with Anthony and Martha who absolutely gushed at me and the transformation of the room, AA shouting over the hush of the crowd THIS IS GREAT. Towards the end I talked with Adjunct John and I said You know, I think I should go and thank my mentor, JR. He pushed me towards that edge so I found JR and gave him a hearty hug, kiss, thanks. He said Thanks back. Now that's a mentor for you, always doing this guruistic Give & You Receive Thing.
Afterwards, as the crowd waned, I had a small after-party soirée at nearby Marquet and lavished wine and snacks with the help of Nana. After that the Brooklynites encouraged me to jump into a cab (with them and the Buffalo triad) to make my weekly foray to Boat, home of Brooklyn's best jukebox, where Renata does a bang-up nurturing barkeep trick, and Steve Bartoo makes drawings. He and Jen are having me over for some sort of dinner and art gifting extravaganza. I explained to him how one of his works would work magic in my straggling and emphatic collection. Speaking of such, one artist whose work I have followed, who I met in the Middling City and who now lives and works in Brooklyn, has a new smallish showing in the MC and I am sorely disappointed in his late-in-life turn of interest toward what I see as an attempt at what he should leave alone - still lifes.
Yesterday, speaking of still lifes, told my parents we should meet for art and lunch at The Met. The Matisse Lovin' Fabric show is fine for seeing another informative facet but some of his earlier works are cartoonish, with a heavy reliance on black lines. It was while I was studying some tiny drypoint I thought Hey, where are those parents and went through entire show and swung back in again thinking all the while Wow, my parents gave me the SLIP - if they wanted some alone time they should have said so. Then I found them, intently reading wallnotes in the first room.
I said Hey, have you two ever been on the roof. So up we went to see the master of idea, Sol LeWitt. Then I said goodbye to the parents and told them to Read faster.
Now time to fashion a short paper for Mark the Shrink and head back out to The Guggenheim of the Far Rockaways.
Time to time to time to.

Love is Time.

No comments: