Saturday, February 01, 2003

More Americans vaporized today.
Great chances taken can mean great loss and, although its an obvious tragedy, anyone who boards a NASA vehicle knows there's a chance that the ship isn't going home to roost.
As I watched the LIVE footage of the shuttle collapsing in the heavens and cuts to shots of debris in the scorched Texas landscape and even-keeled reporters I had an item float upwards in my memory.
On one of my liberating and caffeine-fueled cross-country roadtrips I requested a special stop, at NASA's joint in Texas. My travel companion obliged - I had been before with family and knew it rocked.
So we went, tooled around and ate in the huge cafeteria.
I glanced down at the lunch tray (usual injected plastic number, rectangular) and studied the two-tone NASA logo. It had to be mine. So I stole it from NASA's cafeteria. I don't recall my method but it happened.
I'm wondering where, in my many moves, it landed. I think someone could be serving snacks to a small circle of friends and my fucking NASA lunch tray is the envy of that person's pals.
Well that's karma for you.
I was really going to try my luck/karma last night by offering an officer of the law a jello shot from my opened car window when my two evening travel companions shouted NANCY are you nuts? He's a cop, he'll arrest you. Perhaps I had slurped down too many to dishevel my faculties but I thought an officer of the law, obviously young and freezing cold, might welcome a Skyy vodka-laced treat.
Onwards.
Charlie Hunter and Bobby Previte abso-fucking-lutely mesmerized. They duetted and Hunter at one point played the tambourine as I've never seen before, he made it an instrument for complete cool.
I went backstage with a venue employee as I'd requested going behind the curtain, meaning I wanted to shimmy behind the club's black curtain to a point where I'd be directly behind the duo. Then stick my lens through an opening (hopefully) and shoot from behind them, them looking at each other.
Well instead I ended up backstage shooting from the side. I located a tall stool and balanced atop it, holding my breath and leaning and arching to make the moment stick. I thought I had been invisibly shooting away merrily but several said they saw me doing just that.
Took the jello shots after Hunter/Previte to a house party desperately needing jello shots. I made three types of vodka flavours and one with quallity gin - the green/lime ones.
Onwards to Doug's gig further along the downtown scenario, his last with the other playas. And, as I said later to anyone who would listen If I were managing Doug's career I'd order him to stay with this band and ditch the other he's so committed to... this band has a sparkle, a buzz.
If you all listened to me the world would be a much much much better place. Plus I'd always get my way and thusly I'd be ever more exuberant and that would help all of you feel much happier, too.
Love.

No comments: