Sunday, July 03, 2005

Missed their Friday night gig at the Middling City's famed Nietzsche's but got to see them, the men of Vinnie Barbarino Experience, at yesterday's rock and roll wedding at the landmark downtown = Shea's.
During their soundcheck I was most disappointed to not see oversized 'fros and Timmo's lime green suit. When they truly began, after the dinner/pre-first dance there they were, all gussied up. They were a little decibled for the wedding majority but many danced to their set list of wedding clichés.
Shea's is now redubbed The Wonder Theatre.
Read a wall plaque about its founder, Mr. Shea, who was raised in my post-industrial and hardscrabble neck of the MC woods. Somehow he turned his OFW and iron worker smarts into theatre love and building and such. I imagine that his ol' OFW pals must have hid in bushes and beat the pansy-assed crap out of him for giving up roughnecking for velvet seats. But this is just a working theory.
So, for the wedding, contrary to what I discussed with my Boy Colleague Advisor, busted out the new rig and experienced the sometime joy that we photogs experience when working a perfect new, full-throttle machine.
As the BCA says, It's sick.
The pastor at the wedding looked like he could have been a brother of David Byrne - same height, same black limpid eye pools. He introduced himself as Pastor Mike. Pastor Mike was a bit intense, he was very pleasant and pseudo-easy-going until I asked The Position Question. How will they be standing, where will you be standing, Pastor Mike. And then explained to him that, according to my calculations I'd like to be standing behind him. Pastor Mike's face changed. I've seen this Man of Cloth Facial Change before and I am ready, armed with cool reason and an internal version of Paint Melt Stare.
You know, Nancy, weddings are sacred . . .
(thought bubble *are you fucking kidding me, get over your self Pastor Mike*)
. . .
Shot from behind him and he never knew a thing.
Later, during the eat time, he wandered over towards me and this would be the point where he'd sidle and complain, post-act. But instead he surprised me whilst drinking a diet cola.
You look so alone over here.
(*shudder*)
Just taking a bit of a break, Pastor Mike.
Onwards.
Time to head to the suburbs for back-to-back gigs and then more more more.

Back-to-back love.

No comments: