Thursday, July 07, 2005

I mean really.
Sometimes I do surprise myself.
I have scouted out numerous, excellent spots for reading and wi-fi reportage at Parsons School of De/de/de but this nouveau spot really surpasses the others. And, just in case you are a fellow student, I refrain from GPS specifics.
The good news.
I arose at 5AM today (that is like so not the good news) to be at the Apple Store in SoHo at 530, at the advice of Mr. Security Man just on duty for his third shift manning the portal. He advised Yours Truly thusly: Get here then for a line will begin at 6 - AND I like my coffee extra light with two sugars. Thought: how NYer of you. So I arose, I trekked, I got his coffee for Karma's sake and entered the joint. I said I have your coffee. He said Oh, I was kidding. I said Well, this is for the sake of Karma, it'll bring me some Luck.
I wait a while and then speak to Jason at the Genius Bar who looks very grave when I explain how the PowerBook tumbled last night. All the other Geniuses begin to look on at the tragic scene. He begins careful analysis, advising me at some point to get another machine. That's when I had my comicbook moment and felt the colour drain from my once-pleasant, now early-AM and tech-addled face.
He tries one more thing.
He removed the sad little 12" PowerBook's battery and futzes.
Jason says Your Airport card was half out.
More futzing and then and then and then
he gets the fucking thing to turn on.
ON!
2x more and then I am ecstatic and then met with his cautiousness, telling me that he thinks the Logic Board or Mother Board may be cracked, to back up my entire iLife on an external HD as one day the PowerBook might just have had enough.
We are on shaky terrain, me and the PowerBook.
Not me and Jason, for I hardly know the guy. We said our goodbyes and I left, telling Mr. Security the somewhat good news.
Then on to floating through the streets until The Shiney Apple sprung back to fruition for another day.
Back to seminar.
Back to the odd reality of school.
I wrote in my notebook:
At what point do I tell the others that this was all, this past twenty-six months, for a story I am doing. An expose.

Exposed. Love.

No comments: