Thursday, July 28, 2005

With extreme assistance from Beth and Chris the postcard for grad show and beyond for Yours Truly was completed. My machine's PhotoShop definitely has some type of buggish tendencies and so that only explains a fraction of my PS ineptitude. At one point Jim walks in as we're trying to accomplish some type of maneuver and I stated I know how to get images ready for clients, I don't do design work. The truth is out - I am not a complete ardent PS supporter.
After leaving school I got the green skirt that I've been yearning for, thanks to underwriting from Kennedy, so all of You are off the hook for that item and should begin immediately searching for other appropriate graduation gifts. More on Things & Me. Liz and Alan have dubbed their garden party on Saturday a bonus pre-grad party for Yours Truly. Liz and the designer(s) at the Shiney Happy mag recycled my headshot (made by a colleagues during his Glamm Period) from when I got 40Under40 when I had a cavalcade of hair. Note to self: your hair is growing out, no more wanton explorations into power of suggestion/scissors.
Went to see a movie around the corner from school at the Quad, Ballad of Greenwich Village which Jamie saw and liked last week. It was a bit sloppy but the woman who directed and culled archives covered a lot of history, terrain, personalities. My favoured joint in the Village, Caffe Reggio (where I've spent many hours reading and writing since I was about 20, when Chaz turned me onto it), was featured as were all the usuals. Tim Robbins is one of the featured personalities sharing a story and he was one of the best portions, speaking of returning there after long years away and being shocked by the 80s gentrification. Odd thing: current discreet gentrification of spaces in the Middling City - old office buildings, train and trade terminals, churches - is not paired with any great surge in population or outward beauty or any type of aesthetic improvements. I write that but know that I mean improvements in a manner that means more care of a building, addition of amenities like gardens and Not or Never would mean loss of art or artists and accompanying possibilities. Actually, that's what you don't see unless you live or spend a great deal of time in the Shiney Apple. With farflung gentrification it's nearly impossible now to find rough edges, something that seems Real, removed from the pervasive commerce aura. I do find myself missing midtown east a bit, sector of Dragon Boy, with smell of river and beat diners and a population largely comprised of eccentric beyond-retirees, but my favoured spot here is SoHo - from where I blog this instant. Where I revel in the still-dishevelled Lt. Petrosino Square. That is one rough edge, to be sure. Heading to Greene Street for a fine Moroccan man-made repast before the trudge to school and beyonder.

Trudges for Love.

No comments: