Tuesday, January 01, 2002

Finally, the Goo Goo Dolls hit the historic stage - a brief set of six. The biggest hitz, of course. Afterwards went to the "catered" (a loaf of bread made to look like a snake with an apple in its mouth made by nuns amongst the spread) VIP party, more of a fanly media-style affair than post-GGD gig fetes usually are. I watched as swarms of VIP partygoers circled around wherever a Goo was, a crush wanting a look, a touch, a sharpied signature on a bejeaned thigh. Me and my cohorts were there late and able to talk to the band once the riffraff departed. Johnny held a caricature scribbled on a paper placemat out to me, bossily asking Who is this? It was underbited Dave Schulz of Taxicab Confessions fame. One reason why I didn't take that MTV cab challenge with the fish in my mouth. One interesting thing: as time marches along Robby is becoming the healthier and cuter one, but John is still handsome in a different way. Fame has changed him and I step back from the famously changed: in my own limited regional infamy I know that public observance can be crushing.
And now.
New Year's Day and dig this: a Mass. lotto had these winning numbers: 2002. What a far-out positive omen.
Tour directed last night, the big EVE: documented the rather lame First Night Buffalo which featured a torch relay for thee Olympics. Then FIREWORKS which had me shouting my biggest YAHOOS. My friend Jen had a doppelganger and I thought jeesh, there's Jen making new friends. Then I directed all of us to pour into my Outback and we rolled along to Voelker's Bowling Lane for cheap drinks, arcade games and a white trash buffet. For midnight we hit our first house party and I handed out party poppers (not of gay bar fame) and bubbly and danced around and reveled. I got delicious long distance phone calls from those wanting to touch partying greatness. Onwards.
One more party, several delicious sips from Nate's secret silver flask and a near melee between three guy friends (2 well-dressed, 1 well in a drunk fester) and then a few points beyond. Off to a famed New Year's Day gathering where Tom & Jerry make a special visit.

No comments: