Wednesday, May 16, 2001

Today. Got to bed at about 5AM after working on my column and AOL deadline all day & night and upon arriving at the newspaper orifice found those machines in a state of chaos. Still managed to squeak in some VH1 before ensuing zzz's and re-arose at 10AM to reconfigure and meet my friend Catherine Parker to begin work on our dual exhibition which opens in exactly one year - a year minus one week. All grain elevator images. I drove us to Concrete Central and we meandered, I shot and she sketched for two and a half hours. We lost each other for about an hour which was scary as the grain elevator is huge and parts of the ground are sunken in and some of the concrete is worn thin. And, as Brucey said, you never know when you might bump into Boo Radley. When I began photographing grain elevators 6 or 7 years ago I did so with the intent to show the opposite of cold and formalist images that always seem to get made. Life is moving and grooving all around these stoic beings and I jump in for symbols left behind by workers, and document plants taking over. Today I imagined the ghosts of every past reveler at this grain elevator, hanging off of metal ladders, pissing in corners, the air full of spray paint fumes, fires all around, and dozens of rock & roll radios playing all different classic rock hits through the ages. I walked across metal grating bolted over rotting train ties of a r.r. bridge up about 50 feet to get to the site and at one point I froze with fear. I asked Catherine to tell me about her martial arts studies (she's now a yellow belt), to take my mind off of possible mishap. Walking back over the bridge was not much easier - I forgot to get a super criss-crossed bridge beam with view of C.C. behind it and my huge desire for this image overcame fear. Art/photography won. We saw a blue heron.

No comments: