Saturday, November 01, 2003

Last night's post-party revelry included an aerobic activity recalling the name of a Billy Corgan band. Hint: it's not Zwan.
After Cheryl and Ed's soiree I left with Doug, Laura and Kunji and set off to points beyond. Along the way I thought aloud: You know, I've never swept a jack-o-lantern off of a porch and indulged in age-old pumpkin smashing. Process: leave the car idling in the middling of a side street, creep up to a home, lift pumpkin and charge toward the street, pumpkin aloft. Kunji documented all with her digital camera so felonious results were immediate. I was doing all the robbery. Then I got the others involved. Doug insisted on creating a shaving cream (oh, that's another story involving a couple who would not come out and play and their automobile) target before his alofting and lobbing moment. To our great impatience. My great self-challenge was to steal away - actually I prefer the term LIBERATE - a pumpkin from front stairs where about 2 feet away a group of women were having drinks and smokes. I crept up below the screened windows, lifted up the pumpkin, realized I had only its top, put that in left hand and pinched the pumpkin with my right. A delicious thud ensued. After a while we went to another party where the owner and roomies are satanists, something that seemed appropriate for last night. But, mid-party, I pondered how horrid the black and red rooms and their various altars would look mid-day. I convinced the facially-pierced, dredded and skirt-wearing heap of a man who was the host/owner to let me touch his actual computer in his room to check my email. And then I cleared the room of Satanists by mis-pronouncing Samhain. One of them, a dabbler in filmmaking, said You pronounced it wrong with the most derision I've heard in a voice in quite some time. I said But I prefer to pronounce it like Sam Beckett... Sam Hain... They were not at all impressed.
Earlier in the day, yesterday, I was directly across from the Middling City in NYC and having coffee and a smoke when a stripper named Terri approached. And how do I know these fun facts. Well I know a lot about Terri now. Among the list: she has had her teeth done, she just purchased a Badgley Mischka jacket for $4K which she's returning to the boutique as now it's on sale for $2,300, she has 2 daughters, she worked for the UN as an interpretor, her first language is French - français - and that she knows 10 other languages, that she makes upwards of $2K per weekend dancing at Calypso and that she had just paid $10K to the Montessori school nearby for her younger daughter who does like school as opposed to the older kid who hates school and who spends all her time on her cell phone and watching Kid Nick.
I think that's plenty.
She told me she's pushing 40.
I thought she might have already seen the other side of 40.
I told her I just turned 40 and that it's a great age to be.
I told her that it sounded like she'd had an interesting life thus far.
We wished each other the best of luck.
Were those pumpkins in the middle of the street full of luck.
Does that overfed cat living with the Satanists have a life of luck.
Are my pals lucky that we hooligans took to their car with shaving cream instead of sledge hammers.
Lovely lovely luck.

No comments: