Tuesday, January 13, 2004

Tonight is the secret (now, as I post this, not oso secret) 30th birthdate feting of Doug, tallest member of Janet Reno Fan Club.
Tonight is the night I showed JR the newest and latest digvid, Messenger Hand, a dark short video taking Bill Viola's The Messenger submerging and re-emerging as a good oldfashioned leap/rip-off.
Meandered to the village (really, to be in fashion the v should be a big one) with Beth and Phillip first for a foray at Caffe Reggio, the perennial favored dark place in NYC of Yours Truly and then to the Diane Arbus show at NYU.

Conclusions:
1. Doug is older, therefore so am I.
2. If you are going to rip someone off, Bill Viola's work is a grand place to start.
3. JR is smart, unpretentious and knows how to pry my sometimes clinging thoughts out of my mouth.
4. Diane Arbus, I clearly witnessed/experienced, had some awkward moments interacting with her subjects, visible in her at moments painful contact sheets exhibited at NYU. I said to Beth: She makes me feel like a complete and utter portraiture champ. She might be more famed and feted but I believe that I rock harder.

And so on that big big note I end.
Off to a night of digvid editing.
Processional Love.

No comments: