Saturday, December 06, 2003

First it was the great blackout of the summer of 2003.
Now it's the mammoth blanketing of the winter of 2003.
Coincidence?
I think not.
Every season that I'm in NYC there seems to be a great catastrophe whilst I'm here.
Winter catastrophe in NYC is four inches of snow (cars immobile, people falling, general malaise and confusion, school buildings shut down all weekend... grrr) whereas in the Middling City four inches is barely noted, people plodding in their boots in their cars as breezily as if it were, osay, summer.
Two of my Parsons classmates have never seen real live actual true in-your-face snow. One is Phillip of Louisiana who realized that
1. snow means really cold
2. parkas are a necessity and that wearing a hood means less visibility and aurality
3. two pairs of socks don't cut the snowy mustard and one must purchase true klunko boots.
Speaking of my Middling City sturdy preparedness my own new Columbia high-tech boots are in the Middling City, approximately 400 miles away from my feet which are jonesing for them. Instead I have somewhat fashionable leather boots with traction and no warmth.
Moral:
Have boots, will travel.
Snowy love.

No comments: